Collateral Global is hosting a live Q&A session tonight as it premieres a conversation between two sceptical heavyweights: Professors John Ioannidis and Jay Bhattacharya. Collateral Global was set up by the scientists behind the Great Barrington Declaration – Martin Kulldorff, Sunetra Gupta and Jay Bhattacharya – to document the collateral harms of lockdown. The Declaration, issued in October 2020, called for a rejection of lockdowns in favour of focused protection of the high risk.
Join Professor Jay Bhattacharya for a live Q&A session during the premiere on the Collateral Global YouTube channel on Wednesday March 9th at 8pm (GMT). The link for the video itself is here.
During their conversation, the two eminent scientists look back over the last two years and discuss the early seroprevalence studies, Infection Fatality Rates (IFR), precision shielding, the collateral damages caused by lockdowns, and how we can begin to rebuild faith in public health.
Here’s a rundown of what they discuss:
- 0:00 Professor Jay Bhattacharya welcomes Professor John Ioannidis to the conversation
- 0:38 How deadly is COVID-19?
- 4:53 IFR, seroprevalence, and testing.
- 9:06 Precision shielding, personalised medicine, age/risk gradients.
- 21:22 Were lockdowns effective?
- 28:14 Was there a consensus in favor of lockdown?
- 35:04 Was Zero Covid ever possible?
- 41:59 Mathematical modelling.
- 49:39 Treatments and evidence-based medicine.
- 56:44 How well have the NIH and the FDA done in the U.S.?
- 1:01:42 Tablet article, academic debate, GBD.
- 1:14:38 Strengths and weaknesses of science.
- 1:22:07 Reforms required in science?
- 1:30:24 Essential nature of art for society.
Here are some links to Covid-related studies and articles by Prof. Ioannidis:
- Santa Clara seroprevalence study in the International Journal of Epidemiology
- IFR study in the Bulletin of the WHO
- IFR study in the European Journal of Clinical Investigation
- Second IFR study in the European Journal of Epidemiology (in press, currently available as preprint)
- Precision shielding in BMJ Global Health
- Limitations of modelling in Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
- “A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data” in Stat News (March 17th 2020)
- “Saving Democracy from the Pandemic” in Tablet Magazine
- “How the Pandemic is changing the Norms of Science” in Tablet Magazine
A full list of John Ioannidis’s COVID-19-related publications can be downloaded from here.
Profanity and abuse will be removed and may lead to a permanent ban.