- “Why do the modellers always seem to get Covid infection rate wrong?” – The constant addition of new variables into the equation, such as vaccines, variants and changes to normal daily behaviour ensures that Covid models are largely inaccurate, writes Tom Calver in the Sunday Times.
- “Overseas arrival who can’t visit dying mum in Western Australia slams Mark McGowan” – “A devastated overseas arrival who has been barred from visiting his dying mother has sent a brutal message to the Premier of Western Australia Mark McGowan,” reports the Mail Australia.
- “Heated debate in Victoria parliament as Premier Dan Andrews is labelled ‘dictator’” – “Daniel Andrews was called a ‘dictator’ in a hysterical ‘screaming match’ in the Victorian Parliament over his new pandemic management laws,” Shadow Attorney General Tim Smith critiques the Premier’s power grab in a speech which can be found on the Mail’s YouTube account.
- “Why vaccines are medical apartheid” – The Reclaim Party has posted a video on its Facebook account showing that vaccine passports don’t work, cause division, and are a coercive tool for the state to exploit.
- “100% of Covid vaccine deaths were caused by just 5% of the batches produced according to official Government data” – “An investigation of data found in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) in the U.S. has revealed that extremely high numbers of adverse reactions and deaths have been reported against specific lot numbers of the Covid vaccines several times, meaning deadly batches of the experimental injections have now been identified,” reports the Exposé.
- “Moderna: a company ‘in need of a hail mary”” – Before Covid, Moderna was in danger of hemorrhaging investors, as persistent safety concerns and other doubts about its mRNA delivery system threatened its entire product pipeline. Fear caused by the pandemic crisis made those concerns largely evaporate, even though there is no proof that they were ever resolved, writes Whiteny Webb in Unlimited Hangout.
- “Please listen before it is too late” – “This is the letter I would write to a relative who believes what he or she reads or hears on the mainstream media about Covid and vaccination,” Rosie Langridge tries to unpick the propaganda echoed by the media and political leaders in TCW.
- “Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles study finds risks for severe Covid in adolescents and adults is a function of being overweight or obese” – “Recently, researchers from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles studied risk in more detail and discovered that age and being overweight or obese are associated with more severe Covid outcomes, particularly respiratory symptoms,” reports TrialSite.
- “Swiss analysis: climate models running too warm, falsely calibrated… IPCC needs ‘to review its findings’” – A study by German researchers Fritz Vahrenholt and Hans-Rolf Dübal has concluded that the main cause of rising temperatures is increased cloud coverage rather than the greenhouse effect, P. Gosselin reports on the findings in Watts Up With That?
- “What would Suffragettes make of M&S chasing woke wonga” – To be on the ‘right side of history’, the corporate world has pandered to woke ideology with ridiculous marketing campaigns and new politically correct products without a thought for the ideas they are actually promoting, writes Julie Burchill in the Mail on Sunday.
- “A glitch in The Matrix – The Week in Review” – S.D. Wickett and Luke Perry discuss Facebook’s ‘metaverse’ and the censorship of Novara Media in Bournbrook Magazine’s regular podcast.
- “Anger as Kemi Badenoch says Black History Month becoming ‘racism history month’” – The top Tory was accused of “scoring cheap political points” after she dismissed the celebration as an “American import”, reports the Mirror.
- “Official is gagged for saying roads matter more than ‘woke’ awareness” – “A National Highways official who queried why the crisis-hit quango was celebrating ‘woke’ awareness days rather than focusing on making roads safer says he has been gagged by his bosses,” reports the Mail on Sunday.
- “‘There’s a climate of fear in BBC about race and transgender’” – “A senior figure told me about ‘a climate of fear’ at the BBC, particularly surrounding stories on race and on transgender issues,” Paul Wood writes that certain viewpoints, phrases and words are verboten at the BBC in the Mail on Sunday.
- “What if wokeness really is the new Christianity?” – Woke politics is quickly becoming a new-age religion, complete with its sacred texts, self-righteous clerics, original sins and martyrs, and it shows no sign of slowing down, argues Sean Thomas in the Spectator.
- “Civil servants are told to ‘confront privilege’ with woke reading list” – White civil servants have been handed a reading list and told to ‘confront’ their privilege and ‘ignorance’ on matters of race and other social issues, with some books defending looting and advocating for the closure of prisons, reports the Mail on Sunday.
- “Teaching of ‘white privilege’ is ‘rife’ in schools, MPs are warned” – “MPs have been warned that the teaching of ‘white privilege’ is ‘rife’ in schools following a dossier that revealed pupils are being given ‘politically based’ lessons on police, racism and colonialism,” reports the MailOnline.
- “The battle for the soul of the National Trust” – The organisation Restore Trust wishes to turn the tide against the heavy politicisation of the National Trust but has not had much success in doing so, argues Harry Mount in the Spectator.
- “Is this the scariest Halloween costume?” – The Babylon Bee have reported on the most horrifying outfit spotted this year: a mask depicting a human face not wearing one.
Day: 31 October 2021
The Prime Minister has stated that there is currently “no evidence” to implement a Christmas lockdown, despite what Sky News calls a “rise” in Covid cases. (In fact, they’re falling.) Johnson also said that, instead of new restrictions, members of the public should receive a booster jab when they are offered the opportunity, admitting that the effectiveness of the first two jabs does “start to wane” after a time. Sky News has the story.
Speaking to reporters during his trip to Rome for the G20 summit, Johnson once again insisted ministers are sticking with the current plan to tackle Covid and there is no reason to activate the Government’s ‘Plan B’.
Asked if he could guarantee a good Christmas, he said: “I see no evidence whatever to think that any kind of lockdown is on the cards.”
His comments come after the NHS Confederation, the British Medical Association and scientists called on the Government to take steps to ease the growing pressure on the health service.
Covid infections have risen across the U.K., with recent Office for National Statistics estimates showing the same proportion of people in England have the virus as at the peak of the second wave in January.
However, hospitalisations and deaths remain well below the levels seen earlier this year – in part due to the vaccine rollout which has seen 45.7 million people fully vaccinated.
Worth reading in full.
There follows a guest post by retired dentist and regular Daily Sceptic contributor Dr Mark Shaw, who wonders if the Government, health care profession and media are now too far down the vaccine-saviour narrative road to be capable of objective consideration of the evidence.
In my previous articles I have highlighted how the Government and most of the media are concealing certain facts, altering previously established protocols or manipulating data that has the effect of deceiving the public. I try not to dwell on why. Whatever the reason there is something that needs to be addressed.
Every form of medical treatment has an element of risk and any new development in healthcare is to some degree experimental. Time will and does tell how successful and how risky a particular form of therapy is. The Covid vaccination strategy would be no different in that respect. Yet Government and media have, in their headlong, panic-stricken way resisted all attempts of cautious, sceptical and truly ethical scientific scrutiny. They fail to recognise any form of experimentation, any increased risk profile associated with a novel medical procedure or how time and trialling (of which the public are those undergoing the trials) help establish the safety of a particular procedure.
All this in the day of ‘defensive medicine‘ – a term sometimes used to describe a way of preventing patients from successfully suing their practitioners. But defensive medicine or dentistry can also protect the public if used genuinely for that specific purpose. All you need to do is practise fully informed consent where you are honest with your patient and explain the pros and cons clearly and freely in a way that doesn’t help steer the patient into a decision that is biased, for example by scaring the patient into electing no treatment or falsely reassuring the patient into accepting it. All that has gone out of the window with Covid. Similar safeguards are required for customers of pension and mortgage providers and gambling platforms for example – ‘your capital is at risk’, ‘the value of your investment is at risk’ etc. All these things are done to prevent the harms and scandals that are in the history books.
So by abandoning the safeguards and principles that had successfully been established pre-Covid, what would happen if things turned out not to be what the patient (the majority of the public in this case) were led to believe? What if the treatment they underwent proved to be more harmful than beneficial? This may not be the case with respect to the Covid vaccine, but what if it was?
One in six New York City public employees, which include those working within law enforcement and the fire department, have yet to receive the first dose of a Covid vaccine after the deadline for adhering to the city’s vaccination mandate closed yesterday. Those still unvaccinated will be put on unpaid leave starting from tomorrow, with the city expecting a shortage of workers to place a strain on public services. The Guardian has the story.
Despite opposition to the city’s vaccine mandate fuelled by right wing politicians and media and leading to a protest at City Hall this week, a last-minute rush of jabs boosted the vaccination rate to 83% among police officers, firefighters, garbage collectors and other city workers covered by the mandate as of 8pm on Friday.
That was up from 76% a day earlier.
Workers who have not complied with the requirement will be put on unpaid leave starting on Monday, leaving the city bracing for the possibility of closed firehouses, fewer police and ambulances and mounting trash.
Vaccination rates for the fire and sanitation departments jumped significantly on Friday as workers rushed to meet the deadline for the mandate and an extra incentive: workers who got a shot by Friday would get $500.
The fire department rate rose 8% and the sanitation department saw an additional 10% of its staff vaccinated, according to city data. The fire and sanitation departments each have 23% of staff unvaccinated.
The NYPD had a 5% jump in vaccinations on Friday, leaving 16% of police personnel yet to get a dose.
City officials have been weighing contingencies to deal with an expected staffing shortfall.
The Fire Department said it was prepared to close up to 20% of its companies and have 20% fewer ambulances in service while changing schedules, cancelling vacations and turning to outside EMS providers to make up for expected staffing shortages.
Worth reading in full.
From tomorrow, health teams will visit more than 800 schools to offer the vaccine to children aged between 12 and 15 year-olds. Health Secretary Sajid Javid commented that this vaccination drive is necessary to keep the classroom open by helping prevent Covid outbreaks in schools. BBC News has the story.
More than 600,000 children have been vaccinated since the rollout was extended last month, NHS England said.
Some 163,000 received a jab in the last week after the national booking system was opened up those eligible under 16 years-old.
Last month, the UK’s Chief Medical Officers recommended that children aged between 12 to 15 years-old be offered one dose of a Covid vaccine.
The NHS began the rollout in England on September 20th.
Efforts to vaccinate pupils as many return to the classroom from the half-term break comes as cases in England remain high.
Home Secretary Sajid Javid said: “The vaccines are safe and will help keep children in the classroom – I encourage everyone to come forward for their jab to protect themselves and the people around them.”
Children can alternatively make an appointment via the national booking system to visit a vaccination centre.
Some 140,000 children have made appointments to book their vaccine over the next few weeks, NHS England said.
Professor Adam Finn, a paediatrician who is a member of the UK vaccine expert group the JCVI, said vaccinating teenagers would “minimise the chance of disruption to education, which is really the major harm that the pandemic has done to our children”.
Worth reading in full.