Footage released by the London Fire Brigade shows the moment yet another e-bike spontaneously catches fire and explodes. The Telegraph reports that the incident, which took place at a block of flats in Roehampton last week, “occurred after the bike’s lithium battery went into thermal runaway and erupted into flames”.
The video shows the bike producing a highly flammable and toxic vapour cloud, before igniting in a fireball a second later.
Avi Gooransingh, 29, the owner of the bike, said he was “shaken up” by the incident and will not have another e-bike in his home again.
Spontaneous combustion is a known problem with electric vehicle batteries, which, while rare, is somewhat catastrophic when it happens.