Michael Curzon is giving up his day job on the Daily Sceptic, having been poached by a national newspaper. He’ll continue to contribute and help out from time to time, but he won’t be able to do what he does at the moment, which means I’ll need to replace him.
Michael’s job involves the following:
- Posting four or five ‘worth reading in full’ pieces every day
- Preparing original articles for publication (e.g. making sure they comply with house style and getting them set up on WordPress)
- Doing the News Round-Up (all the contributors send in suggestions and we’ve got a gizmo that converts URLs into what you see in the News Round-Up, although each item needs a bit of tidying up)
- Sending the Daily Update to our ~15,000 email subscribers
- Promoting the Daily Update on our social media channels
We can pay £250/week, but it’s a seven-day-a-week job and the last bits – doing the News Round-Up, sending out the Daily Update and promoting it on our social media channels – usually happen between 11pm and 1am, so it would probably suit a young childless person in the foothills of his/her career. Michael reckons it takes him about two-and-a-half hours a day. Some familiarity with WordPress is essential, as are some sub-editing skills, e.g. the ability to spot when things aren’t in the house style and change them so they are.
Michael has very kindly given us some notice so we’ve got a couple of weeks to find a replacement. If you’re interested, please send your CV and a covering email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, putting “Job Application” in the subject header.
We are immensely grateful for all the work that Michael has done and delighted he’s agreed to become a contributing editor. He’ll be a hard act to follow, but if you’re any good you’ll probably be poached by a national newspaper too. The Daily Sceptic has racked up over 20 million page views and averages 1.5 million/month so your name will be in front of a lot of eyeballs.