A family home was lit on fire after their “electric car” reportedly exploded while sitting in their driveway. The Mail has more.
Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service rushed to a family home in Bromborough, Wirral at around 10pm on Saturday night after receiving reports that a car was on fire. The blaze was put out in just 10 minutes.
The Liverpool Echo reported that the façade of the two-storey family home was blackened by the fire and that the garage was also previously on fire as well.
One man told the Echo that after speaking to the owners of the car this morning they believed the cause of the fire was a “malfunctioning electric car battery”, although this has not been officially confirmed by the fire service.
He said: “I was in bed and heard this popping noise. It sounded like fireworks going off.
“I went outside with my mum and there were bright lights with a car up in flames over the road.
“The owner was in the house when it happened but got out. She told me this morning that the car was only a month old with a thousand miles on the clock and the car battery malfunctioned.”
One woman said: “I heard tyres popping and people came out to see what was going on. Someone started screaming and people rushed out to help.
“I saw it happen and it looked like the fire was coming from where they charge the car. The whole thing was up in flames by the end. It was so scary and my little girl was screaming because she thought something had happened to our house.”
Worth reading in full.